0 items £0
The Royal Winton brand name has always been synonymous with quality and design and has roots in Stoke-on-Trent, England that go back over 100 years. Originally known as Grimwade Brothers it was founded by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade. Leonard had shown a natural talent for modelling pottery and it was in this field that his infant business began, in 1885. His older brother, Sidney Richard, another potter, soon joined him in business.
By 1890 new showrooms had been purchased in Stoke-on-Trent and London. It was a measure of the company’s success that by 1906, Grimwades Limited was operating from four factories in the potteries. Leonard experimented with new methods of manufacture and he developed the Enamel Climax Rotary Kiln, Duplex Lithographic transfers and other groundbreaking techniques.
In 1913 King George V and Queen Mary visited the potteries and the brothers issued a catalogue to commemorate the event. The Queen purchased a Winton Teaset and was delighted to be presented with a gift of a Mecca Foot Warmer (an oval ceramic hot water bottle).
The art of Lithographic transfer continues today in the skilled hands of Royal Winton’s potters with each piece receiving individual attention. The year of 1995 has been incorporated into the backstamp of the latest range of Chintz to avoid confusion with antique pieces.