L-Carnitine helps in the metabolism of long chain fatty acids in the energy cycle. It is synthesised in the liver, brain and kidneys from the essential amino acids, Lysine and Methionine. The body also needs Vitamin C, Iron, Niacin and Vitamin B6 to produce Carnitine. It may also help conserve glycogen supplies in the muscles, increasing exercise tolerance.
Due to its role in energy metabolism, L-Carnitine is often referred to as the ‘energy nutrient’. It assists in the breakdown of fat to produce energy and is typically used by the body to support all functions with a high energy demand.
- L-Carnitine supplementation may be considered for:
- Heart Health – clinical data indicates a positive role in supporting healthy heart muscle, a healthy heartbeat and heart muscle viability.
- Pregnancy – L-Carnitine plasma levels in women after giving birth are about half those found in non-pregnant women, however, the body’s requirements rise steeply during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Male Fertility – high concentrations of L-Carnitine are found in sperm and it plays a crucial role in sperm energy metabolism.
- Exercise – used to delay onset of fatigue, optimise performance and improve post-activity recovery.
- Weight Management – as part of a weight management programme, L-Carnitine can make an important contribution to controlling body weight.
The human body produces a small amount of L-Carnitine when the necessary precursors and cofactors are readily available, and it is found in the daily diet of most people. However, the body’s ability to produce L-Carnitine decreases with age often along with a lower dietary intake, leading to reduced L-Carnitine levels and energy metabolism in elderly people. Foods of plant origin contain very little L-Carnitine and only small quantities are found in dairy products which means that a vegetarian diet is very low in L-Carnitine.
L-Carnitine - L-Tartrate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Modified Maize Starch, Magnesium Stearate (made from vegetable source stearic acid).
Each tablet contains on average 500mg of L-Carnitine. Free from artificial colours and preservatives, yeast, gluten and lactose. No added salt or sugar.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
Take one or two tablets a day as a food supplement
Always read product information, including warnings, directions and ingredients contained on actual product labels before using. If you have any safety concerns regarding a product contact the manufacturer. WWSM accepts no liability for inaccuracies in information given, or provided by manufacturers, nor for any loss or damage that may arise from use of the information contained within material on this website. Read our full Legal Disclaimer